Pages

Monday 24 November 2008

Christmas Party Preperation

Facebook Pinterest StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Digg Email Delicious
Every year, there is a company Christmas party at a local hotel and every year I'm sure all the woman spend time ensuring they have the right dress, shoes, bag etc etc. My girlfriend is no different; perhaps even more of a perfectionist than most, a quality we share. So on Saturday we went to Lakeside at about 2 or 3pm to look for a dress. We got home at 9:30pm!

We went to over 20 different shops, more if you count the different departments in Debenhams and House of Fraser. I think we tried on at least 20 dresses, perhaps even 30, and visited some shops twice. We tried Red, Black, Blue, Silver, Champagne, Purple and more. The shops unfortunately assume each and every woman has exactly the same body shape, and this proportion stays the same no matter the size. As most people know, this is ridiculous, women have hips, bums and boobs in all sizes, and trying to fit them into the same proportioned dress doesn't work well. I think in all we found only 1 dress that was good, all the others would have resulted in the possibility of a Judy Finnegan episode... Most people can't afford a tailored dress except for a wedding and so no wonder women want to be thinner and thinner, if the dresses had varying proportions, most people would be happy the way they are.

We ended up with a lovely red dress with some flower patter/detail down the front. Now all that's left is the shoes...

2 comments:

Ines said...

This wasn't fun. I was really fed up and stressed but at least the company was good :-). There's more next Saturday...

Kangas said...

Well I must confess that shopping is not my favourite way of passing time. I hate it and when I enter in a shop either I know already what I want to buy or I have a quick look and I don't find it I'm out the next minute!

But of course I like to look good and what you say about sizes and shapes is absolutely right. These days they make clothes for anorexic people! I don't like overweight people and I don't think it's healthy to be overweight however being anorexic is not healthy either and it can kill you as well.

When I look to most of the models we see in the catwalks I don't know what to say about those girls! No wonder there's more and more girls suffering of eating disorders and depression these days, anytime they go shopping they find they can't fit in anything they like and these beauty magazines don't do any better with their treated photos and all that stuff. You are right, they should look a real women.

Good luck with the shoes ... ;) ... that would be the best part for me! I love shoes! :)

Regards

Kangas