Pages

Monday 3 November 2008

Day 1 or Day 5110 billion

Facebook Pinterest StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Digg Email Delicious
So, I'm a little late on the scene of Blogging but everyone I know has a blog and so I decided today was the day for mine, the day Lewis Hamilton won the F1 World Championship. F1 is something we seem very good at, even Ferrari has an overly high weighting of British Techie people behind the scenes. We're not great at most sports, at least consistently, we can win championships and medals, but we're not up there as one of the great sporting nations. Think of football and Brazil, Italy and Germany are the top 3, in Rugby you think South Africa and New Zealand. But one thing we British are good at is being Geeks, Nerds, Inventors, whetever label we put on it. We've been doing this for hundreds of years.

So its no suprise that we're good at a sport where men (mostly anyway) can lock themselves away in a flashy room and come up with ways to improve a lap time by 0.010 seconds. And to be honest, even if there wasn't F1, those same people would be in a slightly smaller room, with slightly less gadgets, tinkering with slightly cheaper stuff, but getting the same enjoyment out of it.

I'm a Geek, or at least I hope I am if we look at this chart. I'm a lazy perfectionist. If there is a computer that doesn't work, I can spend hours sorting it out so its working perfectly, but then not bother to clean the dust off of it. If I start on something I need it to be flawless, and if it isn't I get frustrated and angry with it and myself. But if I don't get started on it, it can stay flawed, broken or not working and it doesn't bother me, well at least for today.

My house is too small, there are a list of things I need to do, the kitchen, the garage, the front garden/wall, the bathroom, but I'm too lazy to start on them. This probably stems from the failures or head-aches that have gone before. I've managed to sort-of sort the study, the bed-rooms and recently the front-room (almost) but for the amount of work needed compared to the stress caused I'm not sure that I'll ever pluck up enough courage to start on the big 4!

I guess this is enough info for my first post. I hope I don't get lazy and stop updating this page. See you soon.

2 comments:

Ines said...

I dare you not to be lazy about this blog!

Kangas said...

Hi,

Welcome to blog world! :)

You'll see it will be funny and quite surprising at times. :)

About you being a geek ... I've got one of the kind at home. hehehe ... I know how it is. ;)

I'm a perfectionist too, and I can go too hard on myself if things don't go the way they should.

I liked your blog. I'll come back for sure.

Regards

Kangas